The hollow spinning duck is the result of a couple of years of contemplation and about a day and a half of work. Back in 2007 Blaise Aguera y Arcas introduced Photosynth at TED.com. Photosynth generates 3d-ish scenes from groups of photos, and one of the artifacts of this process is a point cloud which indicates all of the points of similarity between the multiple photos. Given enough photos, and enough information in each photo, the point cloud begins to resemble a 3d rendering of the subject of the photos.
The brilliant folks over at AutoDesk Labs have taken this concept one step further and created a tool which generates an actual 3d model of a scene. They call it Project Photofly, and it includes the simple-yet-amazing Photo Scene tool.
Basically, this is how it works: Pick something to photograph. This can be an object, a room, a person, or a location. Take many overlapping photos from several angles and heights. Load those photos into the Photo Scene tool. Sit back and wait as the photos are uploaded to the online portion of the tool, where all of the heavy computing takes place. Once finished, download the 3d object back into the Photo Scene tool, edit as necessary, and then render or save the result. Skaboom. Instant (ish) 3d model from a series of photos.
For my project, creating the 3d object was only half of the work. The other half was getting it to render in Flash. Fortunately, there is a powerful, easy-to-learn (again, “-ish”) Actionscript library called Away3d which can import and render a wide variety of 3d file formats. Unfortunately, the documentation is somewhat fragmented, due in part to the release of version 4 of Away3d, which targets the Flash 11 player, which is still in Beta. I am using Away3d version 3.6, and examples thereof are rapidly being replaced by newer versions.
Two books saved me: Away3d 3.6 Essentials and Away3d 3.6 Cookbook. They recommended that I take the model as produced by Photo Scene and run it through a processing tool called PreFab, which is used to pre-process 3d models to optimize them for use in any of the Flash 3d engines.
Five minutes later, I had a spinning duck.
The file size, however, was problematic. 1,200k for a single 3d model is not unreasonable, but it seemed excessive for the simple object I was using. As luck would have it, the textures generated by Photo Scene are contained in a single gigantic .jpg file, so I opened it in GIMP, reduced the quality to about 50%, and resaved at a little over 300k. I am sure I could have done more, but this was sufficient for my first model.
This group of tools excites me. The ability to make web-ready 3d models with nothing more than a camera and a couple of free tools opens a great many doors for developers and clients who do not have the resources to run a full 3d rendering farm. Textures are de facto photo quality, and file size can be manipulated to find the sweet spot between visual quality and download speeds.
My summer just got a lot more interesting.
So to recap: Here are the tools I used to create the duck. All are free (except the camera).
1. A camera
2. AutoDesk Photo Scene Editor for creating and editing the 3d model
3. Prefab for optimizing the 3d model
4. GIMP for modifying the model textures
5. Flex SDK for compiling the Flash movie
Now that I have the tools sorted out I will work on optimizing the workflow. I want to see if I can get it down to one hour from initial photo to final output. Expect to see many more of these in the near future.