February was a good book month. Three of the five arrivals were from Kickstarters, and two of those were from Kickstarters over two years old. The rest were new purchases. Reading-wise, my reading list for the year caught up with my acquisition list, and I expect it to stay that way for the rest of the year, unless I either get sick of reading (not likely to happen) or I indulge in some serious emotional-support book buying.
- Jaymee Goh (editor), Don’t Touch That – A Sci-Fi & Fantasy Parenting Anthology [2023.02.04] – This one was a long time coming. I backed it back in July 2020, and of course COVID continued to happen, so the production of this anthology was, well, fraught. But it is finally here, and it is beautiful!
- Red Pine (translator), Dancing with the Dead – The Essential Red Pine Translations (Copper Canyon Press) [2023.02.09] – This is a reward from a recent Kickstarter run by Copper Canyon. I have been a fan of Bill Porter, and of Copper Canyon, for decades, and this is a beautiful volume.
- Julie Nováková, Lucas K. Law, Susan Forest (editors), Life Beyond Us (Laksa Media Groups) [2023.02.18] – Another long-delayed, eagerly-anticipated, and joyously received Kickstarter reward. I backed this book in April of 2021, and it arrived on a beautiful, unseasonably warm Saturday afternoon. I am very much looking forward to diving into this one.
- Jordan Kurella, When I Was Lost (Trepidation Publishing) [2023.02.22] – I met Jordan at ConFusion 2023, where he and I and my partner Zyra hung out at the bar, talking and enjoying being back at the convention. I thought his name looked familiar, and it turns out he has a story in an anthology (A Punk Rock Future) I picked up a couple of years ago because another friend had a story in it. Small world!
- Jordan Kurella, I Never Liked You Anyway (Lethe Press) [2023.02.27] – Another of Kurella’s works, this one a short novel, which is already near the top of my TBR pile.
Books and Journals
- Marlon James, Moon Witch, Spider King [2023.02.17]
- Catherine Stein, The Courtesan and Mr. Hyde [2023.02.20]
- Hieu Minh Nguyen, Not Here [2023.02.21]
- Jason Gillikin (editor), Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.24]
- The Lakeshore Review #2 [2023.02.26]
- Valérie Mréjen (Katie Shireen Assef, translator), Black Forest [2023.02.27]
- Colleen Alles, “Visitor’s Pass”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Tiffany Amo, “Sea of Diamonds”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Allison Hawkins, “Penelope Butterfield’s Comprehensive Guide to Self-Annihilation”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Robert Charles Kubiak, “Christmas Play”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Morris Lincoln, “Conversion Therapy”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Melanie Meyer, “Half the Kingdom”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Andrew Ronzino, “Acquired Taste”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Andrew Ronzino, “The Last Day”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- D.L. Rosa, “Edward”, Surface Reflections [2023.02.22]
- Colleen Alles, “The Only Private Place”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.23]
- Dominic Bryan, “The Lies You Tell Yourself”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.23]
- Maggie Hill, “Only the Drunk Can Sleep”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.23]
- Jonathan Lindberg, “Star Man”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.24]
- Julia Poole, “Coming Clean”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.24]
- Phillip Sterling, “Last Resort”, The Lakeshore Review #1 [2023.02.24]
- Laura Cody, “Either One Step Forward, or Two Steps Back”, The Lakeshore Review #2 [2023.03.24]
- Byron Spooner, “Elvis Walks the Earth”, The Lakeshore Review #2 [2023.02.26]
- Susan Weinstein, “Sweet Halloween”, The Lakeshore Review #2 [2023.02.26]
- Wally Wood, “Dropout”, The Lakeshore Review #2 [2023.02.26]